ENZO Relax Focus Anti-Stress Brain Function Support Formula. Actively relaxing and promoting Optimal Performance. This is a particularly useful nutritional formula to calm the brain and nervous system, improve brain power and counteracting fatigue. Enzogenol L-Theanine are two plant nutrients that act synergistically on the brain and facilitate functions that make us feel more relaxed and calm, which simultaneously promote our ability to maintain high concentration levels and sustain demanding cognitive tasks without fatiguing too quickly. Help to balance stress levels and tune your brain for optimal performance. With 200mg Enzogenol and 125mg L-Theanine per Capsule. 60 Capsules
This is what ENZO have to tell us about ENZO Relax Focus
ENZO Relax Focus is specifically formulated to promote a calm and relaxed feeling with a hightened ability for concentration and performance of challenging tasks.
ENZO Relax Focus is an entirely natural plant-based product that combines a specific amino acid found in green tea, L-Theanine, with the Enzogenol pine bark extract, and the B-group vitamins. The formulation delivers effective dose levels of these calming and brain-enhancing compounds. Two Capsules supply the appropriate and effective amount of actives to induce a calm state of mind, and promote optimal mental processing capacity.
The Specific Actives in ENZO Relax Focus
The specific combination of Suntheanine with Enzogenol and B-vitamins helps your mind and body to relax, and simultaneously increases your brain's ability to focus and perform at a higher level.
Suntheanine - L-Theanine is an abundant amino acid in green tea, that is similar in structure to L-glutamate, an important amino-acid neuro-transmitter in our brain. L-Theanine is readily absorbed and crosses the blood brain barrier reaching maximum concentrations between 30min - 2hrs. L-Theanine has relaxing properties as shown by research on brain wave and human behaviour studies, and has historically been used as a relaxing agent. L-Theanine increases particular brain activities in key regions of the brain showing that the brain is in a relaxed and alert state. L-Theanine can also reduce stress perception and anxiety, and improve attention and cognitive performance.
Enzogenol - New Zealand pine bark extract has strong anti-oxidant and natural anti-inflammatory properties. Human clinical studies have shown that Enzogenol helps to improve cognitive functions and can reduce cognitive failures in people that had a brain injury and are trying to recover their full mental capacities.
Below is a summary of the research evidence that has shown how the particular plant compounds in ENZO Relax Focus can affect the brain. (Full research papers available from ENZO Nutraceuticals Ltd)
Research on L-Theanine and brain function
Scientific research, mainly in animal studies, has shown that L-theanine can act by several mechanisms on the brain. It can increase levels of dopamine in certain parts of the brain1, it can inhibit glutamate reuptake2, increase GABA concentration3, decreased global brain serotonin levels, but also increase serotonin in specific brain regions, striatum, hippocampus and hypothalamus4. Long-term intake may also have neuroprotective effects in the brain by blocking NMDA and AMPA receptors5,6. The effects of L-theanine on the glutamate receptor are likely what mediates its major effects on the human brain7.
Preclinical studies have shown that L-theanine can improve cognitive performance, namely memory and learning abilities8. L-theanine also has relaxant effects and can counteract the over-stimulating effects of caffeine9,10.
In human studies using EEG to measure brain activities 200mg of L-Theanine led to an increase in certain brain activities within 40 minutes of administration showing that the brain becomes more relaxed and alert shortly after taking L-Theanine11. Two other studies have found that L-Theanine modulates brain activity in a beneficial way that increases the ability to quickly switch attention from one task to another and thereby facilitating brain performance12,13. Another recent study described how 200mg L-Theanine increased brain activity and improved cognitive performance in individuals prone to high levels of anxiety14.
Yet another study has found L-Theanine to reduce heart rate, secretory Ig-A, and reduce anxiety and stress perception in response to acute stress15. In a placebo controlled clinical study, L-Theanine decreased mental fatigue at 30 minutes and increased ratings of calmness when participants had to perform challenging cognitive tests16. Rogers et al17 found that 200 mg L-Theanine reduced ad-hoc reaction to 'social threat' words - again supporting an anxiety-reducing effect. The sum of these research studies clearly indicate a broadly relaxant effect of L-Theanine.
Mechanism of Action for Polyphenol Components of ENZO Relax Focus
The Enzogenol - pine bark extract provides a multitude of polyphenol compounds, including flavonoids and non-flavonoids, as the active components that help to improve brain function. These types of plant compounds in general, have been viewed as Anti-Oxidants for many years, and are still mistakenly regarded simply as antioxidants. Up-to-date scientific knowledge has actually evolved much further and found a number of very important mechanisms by which these compounds can promote health.
These mechanisms involve decreases in oxidative/inflammatory stress signaling, increases in protective signaling and neurohormetic effects leading to the expression of genes that encode antioxidant enzymes, phase-2 enzymes, neurotrophic factors, and cytoprotective proteins.
Specific examples of such pathways include the sirtuin-FoxO pathway, the NF-&kappaB pathway, and the Nrf-2/ARE pathway. Polyphenol-brain-signaling together, these processes act to maintain brain homeostasis and play important roles in neuronal stress adaptation and the potential to prevent the progression of neurodegenerative pathologies.
Research on Enzogenol
Nutrition trials at the National Institute for Stroke and Applied Neurosciences, Auckland University of Technology and the Centre for Human Psychopharmacology, Swinburne University - Melbourne, have shown clear evidence that Enzogenol helps to maintain and improve brain function18,19.
This reasearch has found that Enzogenol may assist in recovery of brain function in people that experience ongoing difficulties due to a past traumatic brain injury (TBI)19.
1. Yokogoshi, H. and T. Terashima, Effect of theanine, r-glutamylethylamide, on brain monoamines, striatal dopamine release and some kinds of behavior in rats. Nutrition, 2000. 16(9): p. 776-777.
2. Sadzuka, Y., et al., [Glutamate transporter mediated increase of antitumor activity by theanine, an amino acid in green tea]. Yakugaku zasshi: Journal of the Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, 2002. 122(11): p. 995.
3. Kimura, R. and T. Murata, Influence of alkylamides of glutamic acid and related compounds on the central nervous I. central depressant effect of theanine. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 1971. 19: p. 1257-1261.
4. Yokogoshi, H., et al., Effect of theanine, r-glutamylethylamide, on brain monoamines and striatal dopamine release in conscious rats. Neurochemical research, 1998. 23(5): p. 667-673.
5. Kakuda, T., et al., Inhibition by theanine of binding of [3 H] AMPA,[3 H] kainate, and [3 H] MDL 105,519 to glutamate receptors. Bioscience, biotechnology, and biochemistry, 2002. 66(12): p. 2683-2686.
6. Kakuda, T., Neuroprotective effects of theanine and its preventive effects on cognitive dysfunction. Pharmacological Research, 2011.
7. Yamada, T., et al., Theanine, &gamma-glutamylethylamide, a unique amino acid in tea leaves, modulates neurotransmitter concentrations in the brain striatum interstitium in conscious rats. Amino acids, 2009. 36(1): p. 21-27.
8. Juneja, L.R., et al., L-theanine--a unique amino acid of green tea and its relaxation effect in humans. Trends in Food Science Technology, 1999. 10(6-7): p. 199-204.
9. Kimura, R. and T. Murata, Influence of alkylamides of glutamic acid and related compounds on the central nervous I. central depressant effect of theanine. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 1971. 19: p. 1257-1261.
10. Kakuda, T., et al., Inhibiting effects of theanine on caffeine stimulation evaluated by EEG in the rat. Bioscience, biotechnology, and biochemistry, 2000. 64(2): p. 287-293.
11. Kobayashi, K., et al., Effects of L-theanine on the release of &alpha-brain waves in human volunteers. Nippon NÃ…Âgei Kagakukaishi, 1998. 72(2): p. 153-157.
12. Gomez-Ramirez, M., et al., The deployment of intersensory selective attention: a high-density electrical mapping study of the effects of theanine. Clinical neuropharmacology, 2007. 30(1): p. 25.
13. Gomez-Ramirez, M., et al., The effects of L-theanine on alpha-band oscillatory brain activity during a visuo-spatial attention task. Brain topography, 2009. 22(1): p. 44-51.
14. Higashiyama, A., et al., Effects of l-theanine on attention and reaction time response. Journal of Functional Foods, 2011.
15. Kimura, K., et al., L-Theanine reduces psychological and physiological stress responses. Biological psychology, 2007. 74(1): p. 39-45.
16. Haskell, C.F., et al., The effects of L-theanine, caffeine and their combination on cognition and mood. Biological psychology, 2008. 77(2): p. 113-122.
17. Rogers, P.J., et al., Time for tea: mood, blood pressure and cognitive performance effects of caffeine and theanine administered alone and together. Psychopharmacology, 2008. 195(4): p. 569-577.
18. Pipingas, A., et al., 2008. Improved cognitive performance after dietary supplementation with a pinus radiata bark extract formulation. Phytotherapy Research 22, 1168-1174.
19. Theadom, A., et al., 2013. Enzogenol for cognitive functioning in traumatic brain injury: A pilot placebo-controlled rct. European Journal of Neurology 20, 1135-1144.
20. Chayasirisobhon, S., 2006. Use of a pine bark extract and antioxidant vitamin combination product as therapy for migraine in patients refractory to pharmacologic medication. Headache 46, 788-793.
21. Chayasirisobhon, S., 2013. Efficacy of pinus radiata bark extract and vitamin c combination product as a prophylactic therapy for recalcitrant migraine and long-term results. Acta Neurologica Taiwanica 22, 13-21.
22. Manach, C., et al., 2004. Polyphenols: Food sources and bioavailability. Am J Clin Nutr 79, 727-747.
28. Feng, L., et al., Cognitive function and tea consumption in community dwelling older Chinese in Singapore. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, 2010. 14(6): p. 433-438.
34. Manach, C., et al., Bioavailability and bioefficacy of polyphenols in humans. I. Review of 97 bioavailability studies. Am J Clin Nutr, 2005. 81(1): p. 230S-242S.
35. Yashin, A., B. Nemzer, and Y. Yashin, Bioavailability of Tea Components. Journal of Food Research, 2012. 1(2).
40. Williams, R.J. and J.P. Spencer, Flavonoids, cognition, and dementia: actions, mechanisms, and potential therapeutic utility for Alzheimer disease. Free radical biology medicine, 2012. 52(1): p. 35-45.
42. Strathearn KE., et al., Neuroprotective effects of anthocyanin- and proanthocyanidin-rich extracts in cellular models of ParkinsonÃ—Â³s disease. Brain Res. 2014 Mar 251555:60-77.
45. Vauzour D., Dietary polyphenols as modulators of brain functions: biological actions and molecular mechanisms underpinning their benefic
ENZO Relax and Focus. Actively relaxing and promoting Optimal Performance.
Balancing brain activities for a calm, relaxed feeling
Reducing feelings of stress
Promoting concentration abilities
Improving cognitive function and reducing fatigue
Who should consider taking ENZO Relax and Focus?
When you want to feel more calm, composed and fully in control
When you need to be at your best for an exam, public speaking or an interview
When you feel anxious or nervous
When you are inattentive and lack concentration
When you need to work hard and want to stay focussed on the job
When you are afraid of something and you want to calm your nerves
When you are concerned that chronic stress is affecting your health
Each vegetarian Capsule contains: 200 mg ENZOGENOL pine bark extract, 125 mg L-Theanine (Suntheanine) and these B-Vitamins: 2.5 mg B1 (thiamine hydrochloride), 2.0 mg B2 (riboflavin), 25 mg B3 (nicotinamide), 10 mg B5 (calcium pantothenate), 2.5 mg B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), 25 mcg B12 (cyanocobalamine) and 100 mcg Folic acid. Vegetable Capsule.
Adults: 2 Capsules taken together as one dose, swallowed with enough liquid, best a whole glass of water. Higher doses may increase desired effects.
Children under 10: 1 Capsule
Children over 10: 2 Capsules.
How often can I take it? Daily.
Is it safe for children? Yes, children can take it, too. Start with just one Capsule.
What time should I take it? For fastest effect take on an empty stomach before or between meals, or take with meal if desired.
Keep out of reach of Children.
Are there any contraindications? There are no known contraindications. People taking prescription mood medications can take ENZO Relax Focus, but should consult with their healthcare professional.
Recommended cautions? Not to be taken when pregnant or breast feeding. If taking prescription medication, or in doubt, please consult your doctor. Always read the label and take only as directed.
Orders within New Zealand are dispatched by courier once your payment has been processed. Our customer service team aim to dispatch your order within 24 hours during the working week. Within Auckland please allow 48 hours for delivery. For all other areas please allow 72 hours.
Within NZ, supplement orders over NZ$70 are conveniently delivered freight free. Freight Free may exclude food items and cleaning products - we will contact you if additional courier charges apply to your order containing these items. Orders under NZ$70 in value will have a delivery charge based on the delivery address.
• Auckland (Wellsford to Pukekohe) - $5.00
• Rest of the North Island - $6.50
• South Island - $8.00
Auckland orders have the option to be collect, free of charge. We are located at 344a Rosedale Road, Albany, Auckland 0632. Please note that collection is only available between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday.
International orders are sent out using tracked international services. Delivery for international orders usually take 5-10 business days to arrive. Freight charges for international orders are based on the weight of the total order.