Xcel Health Superior Iron. A high quality, NZ made iron supplement for people with low iron levels or anaemia. Superior Iron contains one of the most absorbable forms of iron, Iron bisglycinate, shown to be four times more absorbable than the ferrous forms of iron (often found in other iron formulations). Also contains the important co factors Vitamin B12, in the form of Methylcobalamin (Active B12), MTHF- 5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid (Active Folate) Vitamin C. Suitable for pregnant women, vegans & vegetarians.
Iron is found in the largest amounts in our blood and is involved in respiration, by being the main carrier for getting oxygen to all the cells in the body.
Low iron is a common problem these days. This can be due to many reasons, but the most common reasons for having low iron levels is not eating enough iron rich foods in the diet, consuming tannin and caffeine containing foods or beverages within 1 hour after meals and having an absorption problem such as with coeliac disease.
Also, women commonly have low iron, due to menstrual bleeding.
Too much iron, accumulating over the years, can occur in older men. This is often due to poor liver function. If this is the case, iron supplements must not be taken.
Most women however will need to take an iron supplement at some time in their life, due to menstrual bleeding.
Symptoms of low iron include...
- Cravings for ice or cold drinks
- Brittle hair and or peeling finger nails
- Feeling light headed and dizzy - especially when bending down and standing up again
- Being emotionally erratic
- Poor appetite
- Deficient in cognitive behaviour
- A lot of people with low iron find it hard to shut their brain off at night time to go to sleep, even though they are exhausted
- Contributors to post natal depression is low iron.
Made in New Zealand
Iron supplements should not be taken unless a blood test has revealed a deficiency. In all cases, seek professional advice before self prescribing.