Skip to content
Please note that Auckland Click & Collect is unavailable until further notice.
Please note that Auckland Click & Collect is unavailable until further notice.

Boost your immune system with Probiotics

Boost your immune system with probiotics | Healthy

Did you know that 70% of your immune system is in your gut? 

Your immune system is scattered throughout your body and incorporates your bone marrow, spleen, tonsils and lymph nodes. Interestingly, these immune tissues only make up 30% of your immune system the remaining 70% is actually located in your gut!

The gut associated lymphoid tissue (or GALT) is your digestive tract's immune system. It is made up of tissues that house and train your immune cells to understand what, when and how to fight against invaders.
Babies are born with their GALT intact, however its protective actions are only triggered when beneficial bacteria colonise their gut. Beneficial bacteria stimulate the GALT into action to give you immune protection from the day you were born.

It is important to keep the bacteria in your gut in a healthy balance - a healthy gut promotes an active, healthy immune system.

Probiotics for Immune Health

Did you realise that probiotics can help keep you well in winter?

Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that not only aid digestion in the gut - they can also boost immunity. Using probiotics can help to train your immune system to respond appropriately to potentially harmful invaders, such as bad bacteria and viruses. Your immune system uses the good bugs in your gut to help recognise whether it needs to mount an attack on an invader.

Different strains of probiotics have different actions in the body, and certain strains have a more targeted action on your immune system than others.
The specific strains, Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus paracasei have been shown to boost immunity by reducing the frequency and duration of colds in adults. If you want to stay healthy this winter, probiotics can give you right balance of friendly bacteria to keep your immune system firing.

Immune Boosting Tips

Have a dramatic impact on your immune health by opting for healthier foods and making positive lifestyle changes:

To stay well, eat more:

Fresh fruits rich in vitamin C such as kiwi fruit and oranges.
Fresh vegetables, garlic and onions.
Whole grains including quinoa and brown rice to provide fibre, giving your friendly bacteria something to eat!

Limit foods which can lower the function of your immune system:

Sugary and refined foods such as cakes, biscuits and heavily processed fast foods.

Alcohol disrupts the balance of your gut flora, so it is best to avoid if you get sick often.

Stress is your immune system's worst enemy! If you feel like you're coming down with a cold, treat yourself to some rest and relaxation time.

Probiotic Supplements to Consider

Inner Health Plus - The original probiotics, perfect for day to day use and keeping the good bacteria balanced. 

Go Probiotic 75 Billion - A high strength, multi strained, shelf stable product, great for after antibiotic or long term medication use and helping to maintain healthy gut microflora after it has been depleted

Now Probiotic-10 - Contains 10 clinically validated strains of probiotics for everyday digestive and immune support

Now Saccharomyces Boulardii - An essential in the first aid kit due to the specific action this strain of probiotics has with diarrhea and related stomach upsets. 

Gutsi SporeBiotic - This 100% spore-based, broad-spectrum probiotic formula encourages the growth of key gut bacteria and antioxidants to support a healthy microbiome.  

Feel free to contact us if you have any specific probiotic requirements and would like further recommendations.

Previous article Explore the many benefits of NAC
Next article The Story of Madura Tea Estates